Letter from the Principal
May 6, 2016
Dear Southmoor Parents,
Southmoor Elementary School is dedicated to maintaining a strong partnership with parents in our effort
to provide the very best education for students. Key to that partnership is open communication.
For this reason, I am reaching out to you to respond to your concerns about the recent behavior of some of our students.
Additionally, I want to share with you some behavioral expectations going forward for both our students and our parents.
First off, I want to apologize for the misinformation that is being shared throughout the Southmoor community.
Please understand that, because we are talking about children, federal law, in particular the Family Educational Rights
and Privacy Act (FERPA), limits me in what I can share with you in regards to issues of discipline of students.
What I can tell you is that several of our students behaved in a very inappropriate manner at the school.
Some of that behavior was shared on social media sites and through the Internet.
The parents of the students who were involved have already been contacted.
Disciplinary action has been taken and the disciplinary protocols of Denver Public Schools will be followed.
Additionally, I have included links to our DPS Board of Education Policies which outlines the
Regulation of Use of Electronic Mail and Internet Systems Regulation of Social Media Use
We are also in the process of developing a school –based policy on internet and social media use
through a workgroup consisting of parents and staff with opportunity for student input.
I’d also like to take this opportunity to ask parents to talk to their children about appropriate behavior.
Some students may not understand the implications of their actions as it relates to the Internet and to social media.
As a community, we must work together to ensure the safety of our students.
It is important for parents to be aware of the child’s Internet and cell phone usage.
Here at Southmoor, we have very high standards of conduct that are expected of all students, as well as their parents.
Working together, we can maintain a safe educational experience for your child. Join me in stressing to your children
and in reminding yourselves the importance of respecting themselves and each other.
Thank you for your support and cooperation in helping to keep our school a safe place of learning.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Sarina Compoz
Principal
